Call Before You Dig
Prior to digging, drilling or excavating at your home or business, be sure to call 811 Before You Dig. This is a locating service provided to the general public. PVREA will locate underground power lines up to your meter. Anything past the meter is your responsibility to get located.
Use Space Heaters Safely
Many fires start when flammable products are placed too close to heating devices, such as space heaters. Space heaters should be kept at least 3 feet from blankets, clothing, paper, and other flammables.
Teach Your Kids About Safety
Start teaching kids at an early age about electrical safety. Make sure your kids know to stay away from your home’s breaker box, not to sit or play on pad-mount transformers and to not fly a kite near power lines. Teach children that water and electricity do not mix. Find more safety tips at safeelectricity.org.
Install GFCIs Outlets in Your Home
Ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) protect against electrical shock and electrocution. GFCI outlets should be installed in areas near water. This includes: bathrooms, kitchens, garages, basements, and the outdoors. GFCIs can provide protection against shock from an electrified appliance, from equipment in contact with water, and from a damaged or defective appliance.
If You Crash Into a Power Pole
It’s not uncommon for PVREA’s equipment to be damaged by car accidents, especially during the winter months. If you crash into a power pole, your entire vehicle may be charged with electricity. If you step out, you will become the electricity’s path to the ground and could be killed by an electric shock.
The only circumstance when you should exit the vehicle is if it is on fire. If you must exit the vehicle, jump clear of it with your feet together, and continue to “bunny hop” with your feet together so that you will not have different strengths of electric current running from one foot to the other.
Don’t Overload Circuits and Extension Cords
Do not overload outlets and extension cords with too many electronics or power tools. It may cause the wiring to overheat and start a fire. If you are going to use an extension cord or plug many appliances into one circuit, you must add together the wattage rating for all appliances used to make sure the cord or outlet will not become overloaded.